Statement by PM on the Extension of the Movement Control Order

Statement by PM on the Extension of the Movement Control Order

KUALA LUMPUR (March 25): The government has extended the Movement Control Order (MCO) to April 14 from March 31 previously, the prime minister announced today.

Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said this is in view of the rising new cases reported every day in Malaysia that the government believes may continue for a while before the trend reverses.

“I was briefed by the Ministry of Health (MOH) and National Security Council (NSC) that the trend shows that new cases of Covid-19 positive continue to emerge. This trend is expected to remain for a while before new cases start to decline.

“This has prompted the government to extend the MCO for a longer period,” he said in a special address broadcast live on national television.

Muhyiddin also said that the government will continue to review the MCO period from time to time and may announce another extension, if necessary.

He cautioned the public to be “mentally and physically prepared to stay at home for a reasonably longer period of time”.

Despite this, the premier is urging the public to “stay calm and don’t panic”, as he assured that food supply will remain sufficient during the partial lockdown period.

“Even though we have extended the MCO, you don’t have to unnecessarily stock up on food because the supply is sufficient. I assure you that food is enough for everybody. I know you feel burdened but I don’t have a choice. I have to extend the MCO for your own safety,” he stressed.

Source: The Edge

Read more here: https://www.pmo.gov.my/2020/03/perutusan-khas-yab-perdana-menteri-25-mac-2020/

Updates